Kashmir Travel Tips
As heavy rush is anticipated in Kashmir during the Summer of 2013, we would like to lend some tips to the travelers planning to visit Jammu and Kashmir
- Get your Kashmir Tour Package Pre-booked, as it will not only confirm your bookings but the chances are you will get some discounts.
- In Srinagar do not miss an opportunity to stay in the Houseboats-“palaces on lakes” as it is a very unique experience. Avoid the cheaper houseboats since they can be quite messy
- Book your package from a reliable and genuine company, beware of touts who claim to have made your bookings and have not given you booking vouchers. It’s a good practices to cross check your bookings from Hotels once you receive your booking vouchers from tour operators.
- Don’t forget to take ID proof along during Kashmir tour as it would be required during hotel check-in, Railway/ Airport boarding , Gandola ride, helicopter booking etc.
- Try to avoid the touts, Negotiate rates for pony ride, Sledging & taxi wala. You can also check with the rate list provided by the Jammu and Kashmir tourism Department.
- For Shopping you can go to the Government Emporium to avoid over priced items. Avoid the shop recommended by any tourist guide and drivers as they take commissions from the shops and their rates overpriced. You can make purchases from the markets of Badshah Chowk, Boulevard Road, Lal Chowk, Polo View (Srinagar), Ragunath Bazar (Jammu). Its always a good practice to compare and Bargain.
- You can also visit the Kashmir Shawl Museum to learn the techniques for testing Pashmina Shawl of genuine quality.
- If you are a cricket fan, and plan to buy a Kashmir willow. Search for a sports shop rather than shop near your place of stay. They are readily available and mostly cheaper than anywhere else but not all of them are Kashmir willows.
- Carry woolen and winter-wear along, as it gets cold in night. Gulmarg, Pahalgam and Sonmarg are usually more cold than Srinagar and Jammu.
- Oxygen Level at few places in ladakh is low compared to other region, so people are requested to carry Asthma puffs along even if they are not suffering from Asthma.